PDA

View Full Version : WS Modding Kit BETA -- Read This First!

Bryan Swartz
11-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Please read this before posting or using the WS Modding Kit. This is a new program designed to provide external editing capability for Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball, and possibly other games in the future. The download link is here (www.wolverinestudios.com/bryan/WS%20Modding%20Kit_Setup.EXE). A few guidelines on this version:

1. It is HIGHLY recommended that you have a backup copy of any databases before editing them. This is still a BETA program and I would hate for anybody to spend dozens of hours tweaking their work only to have it ruined by some previously unknown bug.

2. Please read the readme file included with the install, it may save you from some potential issues.

3. Do NOT move or edit the files installed by the program. If you do, it will almost certainly cause problems.

4. There is no such thing as a suggestion too big or too small. Some things have to be the way they are in order for the databases to work properly with the game, but having said that all questions and suggestions are highly encouraged.

5. Have fun! I hope the WS Modding Kit enhances your enjoyment of Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball.

Nephrinn
11-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow, totally wasn't expecting something like this. I didn't even think it was possible to generate ratings based on stats like that, that's REALLY helpful.

One thing I don't understand: what is the primary positions attribute? It appears that the "can also play" is what position a particular player can actually play, but the primary one has checks for every player.

I know this is a beta, but if you toy around with the ratings generation it'll almost immediately give you an overflow error. Also, it would be GREAT if you could only generate one particular stat at a time instead of having to fill them all out. Maybe place a checkbox by each one to indicate which ratings you want to generate.

Just curious, how does it generate the other ratings like court intelligence? It seems to just randomize that rating and others like endurance and shooting preferences. Again, I'd like an option not to mess with those numbers, especially if I already have them set to where I want them. Maybe have a checkbox to indicate that you don't want to randomize other ratings.

Other than that, this is really a time saver for creating/editing rosters. I might have to start making rosters again. Well done!

Bryan Swartz
11-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't get an overflow error on my end. If you could tell me what exact steps you took(if it's that common it should be easy) then I will work on it. Preferably in tech support.

Some ratings are generated randomly, others from stats. The other suggestions are probably doable, I'll look into it.

Gileyal
11-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Now this is simply a dream come true.
I wish I had more time to work with this but will definitely give it a shot.

Hopefully, in the future we will be able to create things like Europleague and other leagues.

Nephrinn
11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Just thought of another suggestion:

There needs to be a way of telling what teams have what players, other than clicking on each individual player. For example, a separate window/screen that displays each team and the players on that team. When you're doing historical rosters, it's really important to see at a glance what players are on what team and to make sure you don't have more than 15.

Bryan Swartz
11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I forgot to answer the primary position question.

Primary Position is what the player is listed as in the game. If you check off the SF there and the SG and PF under "can also play", then a player will be listed as a SF in draft/FA/roster screens in the game. They will have SG/SF/PF checked off in the depth chart as positions they can be subbed at. Hopefully that's clear.

Bryan Swartz
11-16-2007, 05:14 PM
There needs to be a way of telling what teams have what players, other than clicking on each individual player. For example, a separate window/screen that displays each team and the players on that team. When you're doing historical rosters, it's really important to see at a glance what players are on what team and to make sure you don't have more than 15.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, there's really no way to display all that info at once unless you have a monitor the size of a city block: all the players and teams aren't going to fit(approx. 450 players for a 30-team setup, and that's not counting the free agents etc.).

Icy
11-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Nice! will try this over the weekend.

Nephrinn
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding, there's really no way to display all that info at once unless you have a monitor the size of a city block: all the players and teams aren't going to fit(approx. 450 players for a 30-team setup, and that's not counting the free agents etc.).

I guess I meant a dropdown box where you would select the team and have it display all the players on the team, that's all. Either that or just a long list of players sorted by team, for example:

DET Chauncey Billups
DET Richard Hamilton
DET Tayshaun Prince
MIA Dwayne Wade
MIA Shaquille O'neal
MIA Ricky Davis
SA Tim Duncan
SA Bruce Bowen
SA Tony Parker

It would be even more helpful if it was sorted by position as well with the PG's coming first and the C's coming last.

EDIT: A search function would also be handy, so you can find a specific player.

robster1225
11-16-2007, 08:10 PM
This sounds really awesome. Can't wait to play around with it.

TheOsuBuck
11-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Can this be used to alter the default.dat roster found in the most recent update?

Nephrinn
11-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Can this be used to alter the default.dat roster found in the most recent update?

Yes, but you'll need to rename it to s_default.mdb so that the program can read it.

Bryan Swartz
11-17-2007, 10:14 AM
You can, but it is mostly intended for custom imported roster files. As Nephrinn mentioned, you will have to rename your file to load it into the program, and the rename it again after it is saved, if you want to use that route. You will also encounter problems if you don't keep the start point the same(i.e., using the default.dat file coming before the draft, and then making it a post-draft file in the Modding Kit, and then renaming it and trying a pre-draft start in the game will absolutely cause a crash each and every time).

JonnieR
11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Bryan and Crew

First of all thanks for the Modding Kit. Secondly, I understand that it will generate ratings based upon the stats, outstanding. I have contructed a series of models in Excel to attempt to calculate ratings for the pro basketball game using actual stats it will be interesting to compare my efforts to the benchmark. Thanks again.

ranger
04-14-2008, 03:32 AM
So, my games are installed on D drive but the modding kit doesn't allow me to select that.

Bryan Swartz
04-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Could you be more specific? You should be able to select whatever drive and directory you want?

ranger
04-14-2008, 05:13 AM
When I started the program and clicked on "Select Game Directory" it opened to C:\Documents and Settings...I could move up to C:\ but that's it. I couldn't go up any higher so that I could select drive D.

But after messing around with the DDS:PB button with D drive files, the next time I clicked the Select Game Directory button, it started me off in D drive. So it's all good now.

ranger
04-14-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm getting problems with the players contracts all being completely wrong (as shown in the editor). Is this likely to be caused by my default.dat being from a league that is currently mid-season?

If I wait until before the next draft and then edit the default.dat, will that fix the problem?

What I'm trying to do is start a new league that will retain all the players, rosters and information from my current league so that I can synchonise it with DDSCB.

Am I attempting the impossible here?

Bryan Swartz
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
I need more information on exactly what you are doing. What file are you loading in the editor that is showing the wrong contract information? How exactly are you going about trying to load this info from your existing league?

As far as I know this is not possible, but from your post I can't tell exactly how you are going about it.

ranger
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I had renamed the default.dat file with the "s_" prefix. On closer examination, it appears that the contracts aren't the only things that are wrong. Name, age, experience, height and weight are about the only things right.

To be honest, I don't know how the default.dat file even has this information at all. I expected it to be the NBA rosters and was just planning to experiment a little with the player editor. But when I loaded the file, I saw all the players from my league and began to think it might be possible to use the file to start a new league that retained all my league's information.

Bryan Swartz
04-15-2008, 01:04 AM
The program is not designed to edit the default.dat file. It is designed to edit roster mod files and roster mod files only. Using it on any other kind of file is likely to cause problems.

gerg1234
05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Is it possible to create a roster without having to create owners, players, and coaches? I want to create a fictional league but I can't get it to save because there are no owners, players etc and I don't want to create hundreds of fictional players.

Bryan Swartz
05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
No it is not. If you want to do that I'd recommend just editing the default.dat file(back it up first of course) and changing the TeamsXX table(XX being the size of the league you want to use). A roster file by the game's definition has to have the required owners, players, etc.

craig806
07-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I don't get this program.

I tried editing my roster file but all it did was bring up an error with the team names even after I had already changed Teams30 to the correct names.

Why am I reading about all these rating generators, etc. How do I do that? All it lets me do is open the file and it gives me the team error. Once I confirm the names, it gives me an error and to send it to you Bryan.

Bryan Swartz
07-06-2008, 10:05 AM
That means that there is a major data error in the file that has to be corrected before the Modding Kit can load your file. As far as the rating generator and the other features of what you can edit, you'll be able to see how to do that once the data problem is resolved, but I'll need to see the file in order to discover what the issue is.

craig806
07-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I just emailed it to you at bryan@wolverinestudios.com

craig806
07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Email failed so I just PM'd a link to it.

Thanks

troy10
07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm trying to create my own roster file, but every I say Create New Roster I get this

"A Data error was encountered trying to load this file. If this is a valid DDSPB roster file, please email it to bryan@wolverinestudios.com with a note about this issue."

My only problem is, I'm trying to CREATE a roster file, what is it loading?

Bryan Swartz
07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Make sure the RosterFile.mdb file is in the main directory and hasn't been edited -- that's the file it uses to start a new roster.

troy10
07-31-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm not exactly computer literate, so what does main directory mean?

Bryan Swartz
07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
The main directory of the program -- the directory where you installed it.

ruiverson
02-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Is it possible to work on TPB 2005 aswell? Since the DBs aren't that different.

Bryan Swartz
02-24-2009, 07:40 PM
No, it does not work on TPB 2005. It doesn't matter how much different the DB structure is -- what matters is whether they are different at all, and they are.

slingblade73
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Any update for Windows 7 and DDS PB2?

Bryan Swartz
10-15-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't think there would be a need for a Windows 7 Update, but this will not be updated for DDSPB2, for the same reason that I left my position at WS in June: I simply don't have the time to do it.