Go Back   Wolverine Studios > Draft Day Sports: College Basketball > DDS: College Basketball General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Latest Wolverine News
Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball 4 released and 2014 Season Disk now available!

Music Wars Rebirth 1 now Freeware! See the MWR page for the download

Introducing "The Sports Market"

Check out @WSSportsNetwork and tweet us about the WS game you are playing!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news and special game sales!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Default benefits of scouting reports at lower-level schools

This is my first coaching position. I am at Eastern Michigan. My current roster is comprised of players completely from Michigan. Of the available recruiting packages, the Midwest package covers several states. The basic package costs $5,000. The gold $30,000.

Will either of these packages be of benefit to me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 PM
WS DDSPB Community Manager

How much money do you have to spare? Remember, the money for recruiting reports, travel to summer camps, and recruiting itself all come out of that budget.

The Basic report will give you just that, some basic information on players in the region, such as if you rank in their Top 10 or not.

The Gold report will be much more elaborate and include full listings of players' top 10s, so you know who you're up against.

There's more to it than just that, but it's been a very long time since I played DDSCB and I'm foggy on the details. PointGuard or jksander or one of the other regulars can give you a better idea.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 PM

I have $164,000. My coaches salaries total $111,000. Being my first year, recruiting in the MAC what will $53,000 get me, and does that leave me enough for either of these reports?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 AM

$53K....don't buy the gold report, buy the basic for your region...go to the regional camp and maybe one national camp, get recruits you like to visit your campus, go visit them, make a good pitch to the top ones in Sept. If you don't fill all your spots with signings in Sept/Oct, leave some money in the kitty so you can continue to go after others throughout the winter and spring.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 PM

I agree with point guard and have a little to add. At a smaller school you want to have plenty of money for the recruiting because the chances of landing all the recruits you want is low. I would also suggest that if you go to a national camp go to the one in Georgia because they have the top 200. At Eastern Michigan it would be a miracle to land a top 200 recruit and forget about top 100. The regional camp is a must but you could easily forgo the national camps. Right now i am at Santa Clara with an average recruiter. The best recruits i am getting are in the 300-500 range nationally
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 PM

Good points, Wcb. I like to try to get the best recruiting assistant coach I can...but I typically don't want to spend a lot on asst coaches if I'm at a low budget school so that I will have sufficient $$ for recruiting. I absolutely hate it when I have another scholarship to offer and run out of money.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:57 AM

Thanks,You are right it is terrible when you run out of money. With the assistant coaches at a small school i think that you either want a good recruiter or a good player development coach. You cannot have both. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach. Either get good recruits right away with slow improvement or go for long term dramatic improvement with average recruits. I think that the scouting coach is by far the least important. I personal prefer to have a good player development coach because it is fun to watch so-so recruits turn into valuable and excellent players as juniors and seniors. It drives me crazy when players do not really improve. I do end up redshirting a lot of players and recruiting is a challenge. However I am able to get better recruits after a while because of an increase in team prestige with the same recruiting coach.