Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby iruleall15 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:23 am

So I downloaded whatever one is posted here and went back and started in 2010 and immediately notice that the overalls of players seems to be completely random and making no sense at all. Especially when I got to the draft picks(Cam Newton class). The draft seemed to be completely random including player overalls and their attributes. So does anyone actually have or know of a historical mod from the 2010s thats actually made by someone who knows football?
iruleall15
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Re: Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby spitfire » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:15 pm

iruleall15 wrote:So does anyone actually have or know of a historical mod from the 2010s thats actually made by someone who knows football?

Putting a mod together is a ton of work. And obviously everyone is going to have their own opinion on ratings, attributes etc. Personally I think everyone who takes a shot at putting together a mod is doing the community a favour and has earned our thanks, whatever I might think of the results. If the mod in question doesn't do it for you, why not try taking on the project yourself and putting together an historical mod? I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing the results.
spitfire
Moderator
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:19 am

Re: Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby b1gd51 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 pm

spitfire wrote:Putting a mod together is a ton of work. And obviously everyone is going to have their own opinion on ratings, attributes etc. Personally I think everyone who takes a shot at putting together a mod is doing the community a favour and has earned our thanks, whatever I might think of the results. If the mod in question doesn't do it for you, why not try taking on the project yourself and putting together an historical mod? I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing the results.


Or the dev team can actually put in a little work in doing this themselves. I'm sure everyone would enjoy that even more, if you want to play that game.

I don't mean to sound crass, but they put in the ability to play with historical rosters, but randomize it and leave it up to the community to fix it? It doesn't really sound fair when you're charging people $40 for a football simulation. When it comes to TEAM mods, I get it. Putting real-life teams, colors, logos, and other stuff can't be done because of rights issues... but when it comes to stats and semi-accurate ratings, it should be expected for the developer to do the work. It shouldn't be up to the customer to put in hours upon hours upon hours upon hours in improving the little things that the people charging them to play their game should be doing. Even when it comes to the bare-minimum things like accurate salary caps and contract values, they just set it at a default $100M (a full $100M less than the actual value) and a maximum of $10M per contract and leave it up to us to do the rest.

They give everyone a demo, but only a week to try it out which isn't nearly long enough to fully try it out in its entirety. I've had to play this game AND the college football game for over a month now before I've started to realize just how empty and lifeless the games are. I've tried my best to give them a chance because this type of niche in sports games is dearly needed, but now I'm starting to understand the complaints from people on OOTP's forums about them.

I've been visiting OOTP's forums waiting on the news when the new Front Office Football will be released and Gary was constantly pimping these games out up there, so after a while -- and despite my original skepticism -- I decided to try them out. Played the demo first and it seemed decent and -- again, despite my original skepticism -- decided to buy the full version hoping it would offer a little more than the demo did. But it doesn't.

It's extremely misleading, to say the very least and genuinely feels like the devs are trying to trick people. Which is infuriating because I bought into what was being touted as a deep simulation, but I guess that's my fault for buying it.
b1gd51
Junior Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am

Re: Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby regenerator » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 am

I must say, I find this post quite surprising. I am a very skeptical, judgemental person in general, if I'm homest, and this certainly extends to my entertainment. Football sims are EVEN MORE scrutinized by me as they have been near and dear to my heart for 30+years.

So all that being said, I LOVE this game! It is BY FAR the closest thing to reaching the promise of the old Front Page Sports Football franchise, if you were around for that, which has long been held up as the gold standard for Football Sim games, specifically PC Simulations.

So I'm curious - what, aside from historical rosters(which I defend by this - at least they put in the work to provide the framework so that the community can come in afterwards and make the ratings much more realistic; would you really prefer that they either complete all the rosters for all the historical teams, or not include them in the game? I say take what you can get, at least the possibility of having realistic historical rosters exists like this...), are you feeling disappointed with? The game has very realistic statistical results, and can easily be modified with global editors and game sliders to create various era statistical realism, from the NFL of old where completing roughly half of your pass attempts to the ultra-modern, super-pass happy NFL of today.

Also let me point this out - Brooks, the main developer, is VERY responsive to this board. He responds to my posts same day just about without fail, thus showing his dedication to this work that he does charge $40 for, and he'll back it up. Not only does he provide quick response year round, including entertaining some of my more fanciful, long-winded posts without complaining, but he takes feedback very seriously, and its very easy to see your suggestions, and certainly your spotting of defects, quickly make it into forthcoming patches and then it's part of the game forever.
Disappointed? Hey, maybe you're just what we need - be patient, and you will get out f this what you put in - help us make this a better game and you just might get what you want after all. I know of precious few if any other times if any where I had such a powerful voice in directly shaping a game i play
regenerator
Member
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Re: Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby b1gd51 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:06 pm

For starters, the official roster file is an absolute mess. The contract figures are too low. The default cap room is too low. 90% of the years left on each person's contract is way off. 90% of players who've retired since '17 are still on the free agent list. The list goes on and on and on. I know this because I've already taken it upon myself to do all this work myself when I shouldn't have to. When it comes to something as basic as ACCURATE CONTRACTS, it shouldn't be on the consumer who paid $40 for your game to do all of this work.

Sure, I'll give the devs credit for answering questions in an orderly fashion, but I'm also realizing that a lot of their answers are basically "there's a custom option, so do it yourself." Accurate schedules? Do it yourself. Accurate contracts? Do it yourself. Accurate Rosters? Do it yourself. Accurate historical rosters? Do it yourself.
b1gd51
Junior Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am

Re: Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby Tigerman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 pm

b1gd51 wrote:For starters, the official roster file is an absolute mess. The contract figures are too low. The default cap room is too low. 90% of the years left on each person's contract is way off. 90% of players who've retired since '17 are still on the free agent list. The list goes on and on and on. I know this because I've already taken it upon myself to do all this work myself when I shouldn't have to. When it comes to something as basic as ACCURATE CONTRACTS, it shouldn't be on the consumer who paid $40 for your game to do all of this work.

Sure, I'll give the devs credit for answering questions in an orderly fashion, but I'm also realizing that a lot of their answers are basically "there's a custom option, so do it yourself." Accurate schedules? Do it yourself. Accurate contracts? Do it yourself. Accurate Rosters? Do it yourself. Accurate historical rosters? Do it yourself.


I made the official roster, not them.
User avatar
Tigerman
Junior Member
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: New York

Re: Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby b1gd51 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:20 pm

Tigerman wrote:
b1gd51 wrote:For starters, the official roster file is an absolute mess. The contract figures are too low. The default cap room is too low. 90% of the years left on each person's contract is way off. 90% of players who've retired since '17 are still on the free agent list. The list goes on and on and on. I know this because I've already taken it upon myself to do all this work myself when I shouldn't have to. When it comes to something as basic as ACCURATE CONTRACTS, it shouldn't be on the consumer who paid $40 for your game to do all of this work.

Sure, I'll give the devs credit for answering questions in an orderly fashion, but I'm also realizing that a lot of their answers are basically "there's a custom option, so do it yourself." Accurate schedules? Do it yourself. Accurate contracts? Do it yourself. Accurate Rosters? Do it yourself. Accurate historical rosters? Do it yourself.


I made the official roster, not them.


I figured as much, considering your roster mod and the roster file included in the download were similar. And don't take it the wrong way about what I said in regards to the contracts. I'm definitely not crapping on your work and appreciate wholeheartedly the time and effort you put into creating it. I also know how hard it can be for modders to keep things like that updated in their spare time. Just figured since it WAS included in the download when installing the game, the devs would've been updating it themselves since most of the leg work had been done by you already.

I'm gonna be honest, though... I let my frustrations get the best of me in regards to everything I said before. Even though the game could use a lot of work, it's still a pretty enjoyable experience w/ a good community of modders to help out and the devs DO do a good job of answering a lot of questions, listening to suggestions for additions to the game and just being open and available in general. It was also entirely unfair for me to insinuate the devs are trying to trick people w/ empty promises just because I let my frustrations get the better of me, so if any devs/moderators do end up reading this, I want to apologize for all that.

Although I can't guarantee I won't stop annoying them up here w/ suggestions and issues I'm having, I'll do so in a more constructive manner from here on out haha
b1gd51
Junior Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am

Re: Is there a historical mod thats actually accurate?

Postby Tigerman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:26 pm

b1gd51 wrote:
Tigerman wrote:
b1gd51 wrote:For starters, the official roster file is an absolute mess. The contract figures are too low. The default cap room is too low. 90% of the years left on each person's contract is way off. 90% of players who've retired since '17 are still on the free agent list. The list goes on and on and on. I know this because I've already taken it upon myself to do all this work myself when I shouldn't have to. When it comes to something as basic as ACCURATE CONTRACTS, it shouldn't be on the consumer who paid $40 for your game to do all of this work.

Sure, I'll give the devs credit for answering questions in an orderly fashion, but I'm also realizing that a lot of their answers are basically "there's a custom option, so do it yourself." Accurate schedules? Do it yourself. Accurate contracts? Do it yourself. Accurate Rosters? Do it yourself. Accurate historical rosters? Do it yourself.


I made the official roster, not them.


I figured as much, considering your roster mod and the roster file included in the download were similar. And don't take it the wrong way about what I said in regards to the contracts. I'm definitely not crapping on your work and appreciate wholeheartedly the time and effort you put into creating it. I also know how hard it can be for modders to keep things like that updated in their spare time. Just figured since it WAS included in the download when installing the game, the devs would've been updating it themselves since most of the leg work had been done by you already.

I'm gonna be honest, though... I let my frustrations get the best of me in regards to everything I said before. Even though the game could use a lot of work, it's still a pretty enjoyable experience w/ a good community of modders to help out and the devs DO do a good job of answering a lot of questions, listening to suggestions for additions to the game and just being open and available in general. It was also entirely unfair for me to insinuate the devs are trying to trick people w/ empty promises just because I let my frustrations get the better of me, so if any devs/moderators do end up reading this, I want to apologize for all that.

Although I can't guarantee I won't stop annoying them up here w/ suggestions and issues I'm having, I'll do so in a more constructive manner from here on out haha


The contracts were pre-made by the game but the salary cap is the same so contracts have to be below that so you can still add players and for free agents, its hard to figure out who retires and who is not. Unless I know they retired.
User avatar
Tigerman
Junior Member
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: New York


Return to DDS: Pro Football 2019/2020 Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests