Coaching and lineup strategy

Coaching and lineup strategy

Postby AdventiveQuasar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I'm curious about how the more experienced coaches approach a couple of situations I've run into:

1) How many "scorers" are too many to have on the floor at one time? Say I have 4 guys with scoring ratings 7, 7, 6, and 5 on my roster, they all play different positions; my strongest lineup by star rating has all 4 on the floor at the same time, but I wonder if I would hit diminishing returns on that and should instead stagger them more.

2) Does height matter for defense or offense independent of what the relevant skill and athleticism ratings are? For example, will my 6'8" PF with a DEF of 6 and BLK of 5 do a better job defending the rim than my 6'11" C with a DEF of 4 and BLK of 3 (assume equal ATH)? Or do those extra 3 inches make a tangible difference?

3) For PGs, what do you prioritize: passing or ball-handling? My PG options are mirrors of each other, one is 7 passing/3 handling, the other is 3 passing/7 handling. Which would you give more minutes, all other things being equal?
AdventiveQuasar

Re: Coaching and lineup strategy

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Let me answer Q.#1 this way: If your team has 5 players with "1" for scoring and 2 players with "2", 1 player with "4", one player with "6" and one player with "8"...if you put all 5 guys with a "1" on the floor at the same time they the shots will generally be fairly evenly divided amongst the 5 players. Then if you put the other 5 guys on the floor at the same time...the shots will generally be distributed with those with higher "score" ratings getting more shots.

And a high "score" rating does not necessarily related directly to good scoring because that guy may not hit as high a percentage as a guy with a lower "score" rating who may shoot less but hit more of the shots he takes.

I guess if you have a player with a high "score" rating that you want to take a lot of shots, then putting him on the floor with 4 players with low "score" ratings would tend to accomplish that, while putting him on the floor with 4 players with high "score" numbers who tend to lessen the number of shots he takes since shots would be more evenly distributed.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm

Q#2: Yes...uhhh...Height Matters! But I don't THINK it matters as much as good ratings for DEF, BLK, and STL. I don't really know, since I don't know (nor want to know) how the sausage is made in this game.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Q#3: Obviously both passing and ball handling (as well as Court IQ and Discipline) are important for point guards. But I THINK that I'd rather have a PG with higher Ball Handling skills than Passing skills, all other things being equal. (Of course, if the guy goes out there and makes a lot more turnovers/minute and far fewer assists/minute than the other guy, I'd have to adjust my thinking...LOL).

Others may have a different opinion.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby AdventiveQuasar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks, these are super helpful answers.

Does anyone know how locked in specific roles are to specific positions? For example, if I have a SF who is a better ball handler and passer than my PG, is there a way to influence things such that the SF is more often the one playmaking compared to the PG? Or if I have a really disruptive defender who can defend guards, could I slot the defender at PG and move my PG to SG, but still have my PG playing at SG do PG-things? I'm wondering how creative I can get with positionless-like basketball, or if I'm better off sticking with recruiting more "traditional" archetypes for each position.
AdventiveQuasar

Postby PointGuard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:07 pm

If you want a SF acting like the PG, you will need to put him in the PG position.

When playing the 2D game, you can change who each player will guard by clicking on the pulldown menu for any particular player within the MATCHUP OPTIONS section of the 2D screen and selecting the opposing player's name you want each of your players to guard.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion