Help with Sliders / Random Questions

Help with Sliders / Random Questions

Postby FSU_Nole15 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Hello all, New to the board. I just started playing DDS 20 and I have a couple questions. I am very knowledgeable about college basketball, so the questions are more geared to the sliders rather than explanations for the game:

1. Do you normally change sliders mid game? If so, how often?

2. Do you ever change away from your philosophy? For example, I like pressing full court, defensive intensity up high man to man. I noticed that wasn't working so I switched to a 2-3 zone to slow things down.

3. Is it just me or are there a lot of fouls. It seems like the offense goes at my defenders that have 2/3 fouls all the time and they'll get 2 quick ones in a row. Is anyone else experiencing this?

4. If i set my practice schedule to 100% 5 out, or whatever, just using that as an example, will my players be clearly better in that strat going into the next game? Just wondering how the game works.

5. What strategies have been working for you? What are your favorite ones/sliders?

Thanks in advance!
FSU_Nole15

Re: Help with Sliders / Random Questions

Postby PointGuard » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pm

FSU_Nole15 wrote:Hello all, New to the board. I just started playing DDS 20 and I have a couple questions. I am very knowledgeable about college basketball, so the questions are more geared to the sliders rather than explanations for the game:
I
1. Do you normally change sliders mid game? If so, how often? I don't typically change the sliders much in a game....if things are close toward the end of a game, I"m more likely to mess with them some. But I know that some others do work the sliders a lot during a game.

2. Do you ever change away from your philosophy? For example, I like pressing full court, defensive intensity up high man to man. I noticed that wasn't working so I switched to a 2-3 zone to slow things down. I stick with the strategies I set at the beginning of the season throughout the season so my players get better at those. But yeah, within a game I normally set both Off and Def to "auto" so my team plays the basic way I have set for them to do,
Then if my offense or defense isn't doing well, I might focus on one offense or defense that I think might improve how they are doing against that opponent.

3. Is it just me or are there a lot of fouls. It seems like the offense goes at my defenders that have 2/3 fouls all the time and they'll get 2 quick ones in a row. Is anyone else experiencing this? The number of fouls per game for teams are VERY close to what actually occurs in real life. As to individual players, I seldom have players foul out, but it of course happens at times (as it should). Some zone defenses do tend to focus fouls on a particular position.

4. If i set my practice schedule to 100% 5 out, or whatever, just using that as an example, will my players be clearly better in that strat going into the next game? Just wondering how the game works. Yes, it's definitely important to set your practice schedule to focus on the offenses and defenses you have chosen for your team to run in games...that way your players familiarity and proficiency with those sets will improve as will their efficiency/productivity with those in games.

5. What strategies have been working for you? What are your favorite ones/sliders? Everybody has different preferences and what works best depends on the skills and proficiencies of your players. Best thing is to try different things as you play the game and see what works best for you and your team.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forums and to the game..ENJOY! Looking forward to your future posts here.

The comments above are simply my thoughts...others are likely to have differing opinions since there are so many different ways to play DDSCB.
Dynasty Threads:
8X8 Tournament-PG;Town Crier-CB18;FIve Friends/Foes-CB17;Top 8 Tourney-CB16;Media Perspective-CB16;Whatever It Takes-CB3;Top 1-16 Tourney-CB3;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB3;Gym Rat-CB2;Repairman-CB2;S. Mastroani-TPG3;V. Stevenson-TPG2
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby CoachC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 pm

My answers will be different from PG's, but it just goes to show that there is more than one way to go about playing the game.

1. Often depending on how the game is going. I check team stats at every media time-out and fine-tune things then if necessary.
2. Absolutely! Not every opponent is the same.
3. It depends on your players' DI abilities, the opponent's DRFL abilities, the sets you are running, and your Defensive Intensity. Limiting their possesions in some way comes into play as well. Freshman, in particular, tend to be a bit foul prone. In general though it all comes out in the wash, and there aren't excessive fouls called overall in my opinion. My current team is experienced enough and talented enough that it has one of the lowest opponent ft rates in the nation. Wasn't always that way!
4. Not dramatically in the next game, no. Practice increases players skills in sets over time. If you have practice set to 100% in one set, they will definitely improve in that set very quickly over the course of the season. Obviously you wouldn't want to do that in the long run, of course. I definitely add additional practice time to sets where their skills are lagging though, especially when first taking over a team and installing a new system.
5. It really depends on if I've got a coach who is emulating my own philosophies, or if I'm emulating the philosophies of another coach just to change things up. My current coach, e.g., likes to play 4 or 5 guards at a time, so I've changed his coaching strategies to reflect that. They are very much different from other strategies I tend to use.
CoachC

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 pm

I'll throw out my 2 cents.
1. I change depending on how the game is going. If I'm not doing well for example if I'm fouling a lot I'll drop Defensive Intensity down or go to zone. If I'm being out rebounded I adjust def rebounding 1st as am wary of bringing Off rebound up too high do to the other team getting fast breaks.

2. I let the game at the start decide my philosophy and then drop one offensive or defensive or one of each and put in what I want but don't use it in game until my players become more proficient at it. Usually later in season. If by January I'm at the bottom of the pack then I adjust the practice time for those new ones real high and look forward to next season.

3. My guess it is pressing and hi defensive intensity is your fouling issue if your team isn't practiced at it. If you totally change what the game set up then your players have no experience at that style. See above about setting up the pressing style in practice but wait until players become more practiced at it. This part of the game is very realistic. If you suddenly became the head coach at Syracuse in real life and change from 2-3 zone to Press Hi def Intensity how good are those players going to be right out of the gate in real life? Fans would be calling for your head on a platter.

4 Only after weeks of practice. Does not happen over night, again just like real life. A week may on ad 1-3 points to a players proficiency in a week.

5. I run man def with some 2-3 zone (set to 3) to protect inside when needed as I'm thin on centers and a good opponent center can cause me foul trouble I switch and play more 2-3 zone. I start with Defensive intensity at 6 and adjust based on my team fouling then I back off, if not I may move it up after about 5 minutes. If the opponent is driving on you then back it off some to give you defender some reaction time helps. Offense I set to auto but if I notice something seems to work against my opponent then I set to that offense until they stop me. I start the season at 50% freedom but keep bring that down as my players get better, usually by end of season I'm at 10-20% freedom. If I'm way out matched I run a much slower pace assuming my opponent will get fewer offensive possessions in hope I can at least keep it close.

Many parts of this game are very realistic in this part of the game if you manage these parts yourself.
NCAAhoops

Postby FSU_Nole15 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Wow thanks to all for your replies! I truly appreciate you taking time to answer all my questions!

I do have another question. Sometimes I have a player who's hot, and not seeming to miss. Is there any way to focus my offense through that player? Seemingly there's always someone who is cold, but will be the only one to shoot. How can I set it so they don't take as many shots.
FSU_Nole15

Postby CoachC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:37 pm

The only real answer is to bench them. If their scoring rating is relatively higher than everyone else on the floor they are usually going to take a lot of shots.

An alternative approach to both problems though sometimes can be changing the focus of the offense during games. And of course, you can get a couple extra shots from your hot players by calling plays for them out of time outs. It's not as easy as in previous editions, because, at least at this time, CB20 is not allowing you to set plays out of media timeouts.
CoachC

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2020 General Discussion